The Ohio Innovation Exchange (OIEx) provides a powerful, centralized web portal that makes it easier for professionals searching for industry-specific expertise and resources from Ohio universities, as well as for university faculty seeking networking and collaboration opportunities. OIEx consolidates academic resources into a single accessible portal, eliminating the need to search each university site individually.
The Ohio Innovation Exchange (OIEx) was conceived in response to then-Governor Kasich’s call for increased job creation and economic growth in Ohio by advancing the state’s innovation economy. Launched in 2018, sponsored by the Ohio Department of Higher Education and collaboratively planned by Ohio’s leading universities, OIEx was designed as a statewide web portal to showcase, share and promote faculty research and university assets.
OIEx provides an efficient way for businesses, industry groups and universities to connect and collaborate, by:
- Connecting industry and business with faculty research expertise, e.g., access to publications, grants, marketable innovations, social media content
- Providing direct access to research faculty through email or through a team of university liaisons that provides guidance and triage of inquiries
- Enhancing access to available research equipment/instrumentation and services from campuses and laboratories around the state
- Fostering research partnerships; connecting intellectual property and technology licensing opportunities
Features and Functionality
After seeking input from university and industry users, the Ohio Innovation Exchange recently introduced an exciting new user experience with rich new features and functionality. OIEx features:
- Free, robust searching
- Mobile-friendly experience
- Filtered content through custom expertise tags, institution or name of faculty
- Directories (experts, equipment)
- Faculty research areas, publications, grants and links to social media
- Network of faculty researchers’ collaborators across featured universities in Ohio
- Information about equipment, technologies, instrumentation
Faculty profiles are largely auto-created from information in the public domain related to biomedical, natural and physical sciences; engineering; technology; and mathematics (published works, university/department/faculty web pages, grants data, etc.). Faculty may choose to opt out of OIEx if they wish.
The OIEx website provides access to more than 10,000 STEM-focused faculty and over 1,000 pieces of supporting research equipment and services at our member institutions:
- Case Western Reserve University
- Cleveland State University
- The Ohio State University
- Ohio University
- The University of Akron
- The University of Cincinnati
The eventual goal of ODHE and state officials is to showcase all Ohio universities through OIEx.
Benefits for Business and Industry
Increasingly, technology, medical, manufacturing and other companies are looking for research, intellectual property and technology licensing opportunities to plan and produce products or offer services. OIEx provides access to faculty expertise, grants and patents in these areas:
- Biomedical sciences
- Natural and physical sciences
OIEx also offers information about advanced equipment and services that companies may not own or may lack access to. University faculty can steer businesses to a rich source of employees through student internships and capstone research projects.
Benefits for Higher Education
OIEx is utilizing a growing collection of higher education data that can fuel internal campus reporting and benchmarking. Through customizable reports generated on grant funding, networks of research collaborations, faculty and university patents, published research and mentions of researchers’ discoveries across social media, OIEx can help seed partnerships for faculty researchers, strengthen networking ties, inform teaching and create real-life learning opportunities for students.
Benefits for the State of Ohio
OIEx’s robust data-sharing strategy, designed to showcase experts, ideas and innovations at Ohio’s colleges and universities, aligns with the efforts of state organizations and initiatives to advance Ohio’s innovation and technology economy. Understanding the breadth and depth of intellectual capital embedded in our universities can help inform broader strategic opportunities and partnerships.